Your horror loving teens are going to be asking: can they see this one? What is the age rating for Pearl? This parents guide will help you decide if your teens can head to the theater for this scary prequel.
Filmmaker Ti West returns with another chapter from the twisted world of X, in this astonishing follow-up to the year’s most acclaimed horror film.
Trapped on her family’s isolated farm, Pearl must tend to her ailing father under the bitter and overbearing watch of her devout mother.
Lusting for a glamorous life like she’s seen in the movies, Pearl finds her ambitions, temptations, and repressions all colliding in this stunning, technicolor-inspired origin story of X’s iconic villain.
Watch the Pearl trailer here.
Is There An End Credit Scene In Pearl?
There is- so stick around until the very end of the credits.
What Is The Age Rating For Pearl? Parents Guide
This is a prequel, teased in the end-credit scene, from last year’s horror movie X.
If your kids saw that one, they will be asking if they can see Pearl.
Can your kids watch this one? What is the age rating of Pearl?
This parent’s guide will help you decide if your family can handle the gore, violence, language, sex, romance, and nudity. We’ll also give the Pearl age rating and age-appropriate recommendations.
Language isn’t a huge issue in Pearl.
Your teens will hear:
Age Rating For Pearl: Is It Safe For Teens When It Comes To Sex, Romance, and Nudity?
Pearl has some sexual moments, none are super graphic, but they could be a stopping point for your family.
Pearl kisses and dry humps a scarecrow, making sexual noises that sound like an orgasm.
She also takes a bath in front of her infirm father who seems to be unresponsive but still “there” mentally.
Two characters kiss and are seen in bed together, having spent the night (and assumed to have had sex).
A movie is shown that is pornographic in nature, showing females full frontal nudity in black and white. A man is seen having sex with two women at once.
Is Pearl Ok For Kids: Mature Topics
Pearl is a weird story.
There are some issues with an overbearing and abusive mother, a sick and invalid father, and a background story of World War I and the Spanish Flu Pandemic.
A miscarriage is mentioned (with no remorse felt) by a character.
Characters are seen smoking and drinking.
There’s a lot going on to help explain why Pearl becomes the woman she is at the end of the film.
Violence and Gore: Is Pearl Too Scary For Kids Under 17?
Pearl is a violent and bloody movie, but not what we’d call too gory.
There are deaths that occur in horrific ways with blood spurting out, but the camera doesn’t linger too long on any of the images.
Except for one: a rotting, maggot-filled pig is shown multiple times and it’s pretty gross.
Characters are stabbed and chopped and burned in this movie.
There are a couple of jump scares.
While we aren’t calling it gory, we do think it ranks up there on the scare factor but has a subtlety to it.
Pearl Age Rating: What Ages Can Really Watch This One?
Pearl is Rated R for strong violence, gore, sexual content, and graphic nudity.
But can your horror-loving kids under 17 actually watch this one?
Parents Guide: Is Pearl Appropriate For Kids Under 17?
As always, you know your child best.
If you are a fairly permissive family when it comes to sexual references and scenes, Pearl may be ok for kids under 17, possibly as young as 14.
But this is a horror movie with a lot of death and blood, so you may want to stick with the 17 and up age rating for Pearl.
More TV and Movie Parents Guides
- What Is The Age Rating Of Confess, Fletch? Parents Guide
- What Is The Age Rating Of The Woman King? Parents Guide
- What Is The Age Rating Of Barbarian? Parents Guide
- What Is The Age Rating For Hocus Pocus (1993)? Parents Guide
- Age Rating For The Rings of Power | Parents Guide
- What Is The Age Rating For The Invitation (2022)? Parents Guide
- What Is The Age Rating For Game Of Thrones: House Of The Dragon?
- What Is The Age Rating For Beast (2022)? Parents Guide
- What Is The Age Rating For She-Hulk? Parents Guide
- What Is The Age Rating For Bodies, Bodies, Bodies? Parents Guide
- What Is The Age Rating For Prey (2022)? Parents Guide
- What Is The Age Rating For Bullet Train? Parents Guide
- What Is The Age Rating For Vengeance? Parents Guide
- What Is The Age Rating For NOPE? Parents Guide
- What Is The Age Rating For Thor: Love And Thunder? Parents Guide
- What Is The Age Rating For Elvis? Parents Guide
- What Is The Age Rating For The Black Phone? Parents Guide