Teens and tweens might be asking if they can see this one. It’s getting some great reviews. But can they? What is the true age rating of M3GAN? Can your kids watch this one? We’re covering the 7 big things parents need to know about the age rating for MEGAN in this parents guide.
About M3GAN (2023)
M3GAN is a marvel of artificial intelligence, a life-like doll programmed to be a child’s greatest companion and a parent’s greatest ally.
Designed by brilliant toy-company roboticist Gemma (Get Out’s Allison Williams), M3GAN can listen and watch and learn as she becomes friend and teacher, playmate, and protector, for the child she is bonded to.
When Gemma suddenly becomes the caretaker of her orphaned 8-year-old niece, Cady (Violet McGraw, The Haunting of Hill House), Gemma’s unsure and unprepared to be a parent.
Under intense pressure at work, Gemma decides to pair her M3GAN prototype with Cady in an attempt to resolve both problems—a decision that will have unimaginable consequences.
Watch the MEGAN trailer here.
Age Rating of M3GAN: Parents Guide (7 Big Things)
Can your kids watch this one? What is the age rating of MEGAN (2023)?
This parent’s guide will help you decide if your family can handle the seven big issues with movies and shows: mature topics, gore, violence, language, sex, romance, and nudity.
We’ll also give the M3GAN age rating and age-appropriate recommendations.
There’s a lot of strong language in M3GAN.
Your kids will hear:
- sh!t (variants)
- j@sus chr!st
Age Rating of MEGAN: Is It Safe For Teens When It Comes To Sex, Romance, and Nudity?
There is no nudity in M3GAN (2023).
There are suggestive references, however.
Violence and Gore: Is M3GAN Too Scary For Kids Under 13?
This is, at its heart, a horror movie. One that tried to tone things down to score a PG-13 rating.
But there is still a lot of violence, death, and blood for a PG-13 movie.
Your kids will see:
- Character forces spiky thing into other child’s hand hurting child
- Child hit by a car
- A character’s hand nail gunned to a board
- Character is pressure washed in the face
- Character strangled
- Character impaled
- Character stabbed in neck
Plus other violent moments including the deaths of kids and car accidents.
Is M3GAN Ok For Kids: Mature Topics
A child is orphaned when her parents are killed in a terrible accident. This absolutely could be triggering to some children.
There’s also a fair amount of crude humor (think potty jokes) in the movie.
Age Rating of M3GAN: What Ages Can Really Watch This One?
M3GAN is rated PG-13 for terror, strong language, suggestive references, and violent content.
Parents Guide: Is MEGAN Appropriate For Kids Under 13?
If your kids really love horror movies and have seen other PG-13 movies, this could be ok for them if they are under 13.
But we think the jump scares are intense enough (and happen frequently enough) to take into account. M3GAN may be too scary for tweens, so we suggest sticking with the 13 and up age rating for this one.
More Parents Guides
- Age Rating Of The Whale: Parents Guide (7 Big Things)
- Age Rating of I Wanna Dance With Somebody: Parents Guide
- Age Rating of Babylon: Parents Guide (7 Big Things)
- Age Rating For Puss in Boots: The Last Wish Parents Guide
- Age Rating Of Avatar: The Way Of Water Parents Guide (7 Big Things)
- Age Rating of Guillermo del Toro’s Pinocchio On Netflix: Parents Guide (7 Big Things)
- Age Rating of Violent Night: Parents Guide (7 Big Things)
- Age Rating of Willow (2022): Parents Guide (7 Big Things)
- Age Rating of: Guardians of the Galaxy Holiday Special: Parents Guide
- Age Rating Of Wednesday: Parents Guide (7 Big Things)
- Age Rating Of Bones and All: Parents Guide (7 Big Things)
- Age Rating Of Glass Onion: Parents Guide (7 Big Things!)
- Age Rating Of Strange World: Parents Guide (7 Big Things)