Teens might be asking if they can see this one. The star power is there- who doesn’t love Brendan Fraser? But can they? What is the true age rating of The Whale (2022 movie)? Can your kids watch this one? We’re coving the 7 big things parents need to know about the age rating for The Whale in this parents guide.
About The Whale (2022 movie)
From Darren Aronofsky comes The Whale, the story of a reclusive English teacher who attempts to reconnect with his estranged teenage daughter.
Starring Brendan Fraser and based on the acclaimed play by Samuel D. Hunter.
Watch The Whale trailer here.
Age Rating of The Whale: Parents Guide (7 Big Things)
Can your kids watch this one? What is the age rating of The Whale?
This parent’s guide will help you decide if your family can handle the seven big issues with movies and shows: mature topics, gore, violence, language, sex, romance, and nudity. We’ll also give the age rating and age-appropriate recommendations.
Your kids will hear the following:
It’s not a completely clean movie by any means.
Age Rating of The Whale: Is It Safe For Teens When It Comes To Sex, Romance, and Nudity?
A man masturbates to graphic p@rn.
A character is seen showering.
There is a little bit of sex and nudity in The Whale to be aware of.
Violence and Gore: Is The Whale Too Scary For Kids Under 17?
While we wouldn’t say its a scary movie, it is very mature and extremely uncomfortable at times.
-Character accidentally cuts his face while shaving, so you do see some blood.
-Character threatens to kill another character by drugging him
Is The Whale Ok For Kids: Mature Topics
The Whale is for mature audiences who can handle the heavy topics covered in the movie. Some examples of what your kids will see include:
-Character has a heart attack (he lives, but it’s distressing)
-Character starts choking
-Character tries to make themself throw up
-Character threatens to call the police and accuse another character of rape
-Character essentially tries to eat themself to death
-Character throws up after binge eating
-Generally uncomfortable scenes of a physically unhealthy man
Age Rating Of The Whale: What Ages Can Really Watch This One?
The Whale is rated R for Language, Some Drug Use, and Sexual Content.
Parents Guide: Is The Whale Appropriate For Kids Under 17?
We’re going to suggest that you stick to the 17 and up age rating for The Whale.
While the movie is incredibly acted, the subject matter and story are emotional and crushing.
There are a lot of potential triggers for younger kids in this one.
If you have concerns, please consider screening this before you allow the kids to see it.
More Parents Guides
- Age Rating of I Wanna Dance With Somebody: Parents Guide
- Age Rating of Babylon: Parents Guide (7 Big Things)
- Age Rating For Puss in Boots: The Last Wish Parents Guide
- Age Rating Of Avatar: The Way Of Water Parents Guide (7 Big Things)
- Age Rating of Guillermo del Toro’s Pinocchio On Netflix: Parents Guide (7 Big Things)
- Age Rating of Violent Night: Parents Guide (7 Big Things)
- Age Rating of Willow (2022): Parents Guide (7 Big Things)
- Age Rating of: Guardians of the Galaxy Holiday Special: Parents Guide
- Age Rating Of Wednesday: Parents Guide (7 Big Things)
- Age Rating Of Bones and All: Parents Guide (7 Big Things)
- Age Rating Of Glass Onion: Parents Guide (7 Big Things!)
- Age Rating Of Strange World: Parents Guide (7 Big Things)