We love Harry Potter around here. Books, movie, theme park attractions: The Wizarding World is one we dig. I wish there was a spell to transport me right now! I’ll have to check the list of all the Harry Potter spells to see if there’s one that might work.
While I’m a total Muggle, I wish I was enrolled in Hogwarts. Alas, my letter never arrived.
If it had, I’m sure I would be House Hufflepuff, and I’d definitely be on the Quiddich team. And probably Head Girl too.
Hey, if we’re going to dream, let’s dream big!
But I’m not a wizard, even though I played one at the Wizarding World of Harry Potter once. And yes, this photoshoot was as epic as it looks!
My friend Meghan tried “Immobulus” on me and I shouted my favorite Harry Potter spell, “Protego!” back.
Nothing happened, but it was fun to shout spells at each other anyway!
If you’re looking for a list of Harry Potter spells to try on your friends (or to add to a fun shirt or include in a Harry Potter birthday party) I’ve got you covered.
This list of Harry Potter spells are based only on the books and I know there’s more that comes from the movies. When I sit down to watch from my favorite list of Harry Potter movies in order, I’ll try to make a better note of things!
List of Harry Potter Spells
I’m sure there are other ways to break them down, but for simplicity’s sake, I went with the good ol’ ABCs when it came to the list of Harry Potter spells. So it’s in alphabetical order.
I think Professor McGonagall would be proud!
- Accio calls an object to you
- Aguamenti water comes from your opponent’s wand
- Alohomora opens locks
- Aparecium turns invisible ink visible
- Avada Kedavra One of The Unforgivable Curses; Kills your opponent
- Avifors turns a thing into a bird
- Avis birds fly out of the end of your wand
- Bombarda causes a small explosion.
- Colloportus closes a door and binds it so that it can’t be opened.
- Confringo the Blasting Curse
- Confundus Confounds your target & makes them temporarily confused
- Conjunctivitis Damages the eyesight of your opponent
- Crucio The Second Unforgivable Curse, the Cruciatus Curse
- Deletrius Erases the last spell cast by a wand so that it can’t be discovered
- Densaugeo Makes teeth grow out of control
- Diffindo Makes seams split open
- Dissendium Opens a specific passageway into a cellar
- Duro Turns an item to stone.
- Engorgio Makes an item larger
- Episkey Heals relatively minor wounds.
- Evanesco Causes an item to immediately dissolve
- Expecto Patronum Creates Patronus
- Expelliarmus Disarms the target of the spell
- Fera Verto
- Ferula Binds a broken limb
- Fidelius allows a secret to be hidden within the secret keeper’s soul
- Finite Incantatem Stops any spell
- Flagrate allows the user to write or draw in the air with fire
- Flipendo Also knows as the Knockback Jinx
- Furnunculus Causes a person to break out in boils
- Geminio Creates a duplicate of an item
- Homorphus Man-Shape; makes a person disguised as an animal resume their human shape
- Immobulus Immobilizes the target
- Impedimenta Puts up an impediment that slows down something or someone that is coming toward you
- Imperio The third unforgivable curse. Allows the user to assume complete control of another person
- Impervius Repels water from a surface
- Incarcerous Conjures up ropes, which then bind an opponent
- Incendio Lights a fire
- Legilimens Allows the user to gain access to another’s mind
- Levicorpus Turns your opponent upside down
- Liberacorpus “Liberates”, or frees a body that has been caught up by the levicorpus spell
- Locomotor Mortis The Leg-Locker Curse; locks an opponent’s legs together
- Lumos Creates light, usually by making the tip of the wand glow
- Mobiliarbus Used to move a tree from one place to another
- Mobilicorpus Used to move a body from one place to another
- Morsmordre or Morsmorde Used to summon the Dark Mark
- Muffliato Causes a buzzing noise so that those in the area can carry on a private conversation
- Nox Extinguishes light as created by “Lumos”
- Obliviate erases a memory
- Orchideous Conjures a bunch of flowers from the user’s wand
- Petrificus Totalus Total petrification
- Portus Turns any item into a Portkey, which can then be used to transport a person or persons to another location.
- Prior Incantato Reveals to you the last spell that a wand was used to cast
- Protego sends a spell back on an opponent
- Quietus Makes things quiet, used to muffle “Sonorus”
- Reducio Shrinks an item
- Reducto blasts something to pieces
- Relashio releases something
- Reparo Repairs broken items
- Repello Repels something
- Repello Muggletum makes an area invisible to Muggles
- Revelio causes something that is hidden to be revealed
- Rictusempra causes a person to curl up in laughter
- Riddikulus Makes a boggart funny rather than terrifying
- Salvio Hexia
- Scourgify used to clean dirt off
- Sectumsempra causes cuts to appear all over an opponent’s body
- Serpensortia calls a snake
- Silencio Makes the target of the spell unable to make any sound
- Sonorus Amplifies the user’s voice
- Stupefy Stupefies an opponent
- Tarantallegra Forces an opponent’s legs to dance
- Tergeo Scours something clean
- Waddiwasi Removes a stuck object
- Wingardium Leviosa the first spell taught in the Harry Potter movies
Patty Holliday is a movie critic, writer, and podcaster living in the Washington, DC area. Her goal is to bridge the gap between casual fandom and picky critic with parent movie and television reviews.