Aladdin is what I call my “gateway drug” back to Disney. 27-years ago in the movie theater, I learned that Disney animated movies were for adults, too, after watching Aladdin on screen. I attended the Musical Jouney of Disney’s Aladdin D23 Expo panel last week and had a blast hearing all the casts of different Aladdin shows share their stories. (affiliate links included in this post)
The Musical Journey of Disney’s Aladdin D23 Expo Panel
Ever go to a panel where you just grin ear-to-ear the whole time?
That was me at the Musical Journey of Aladdin D23 Expo. Except I was singing along as I grinned so I know I looked all kinds of silly.
But I loved every second of it! And since you can get Disney’s Aladdin on digital download NOW, you can love all this goodness too. Some of the scenes shared at the panel are included in the blu-ray and download.
Scott Weinger (“Aladdin” animated film) and Linda Larkin (“Jasmine” animated film) were our hosts for the evening. It was so interesting to hear how they were cast and what their auditions were like, as well as their experiences with the filmmakers.
And when they added Brad Kane (the singing voice of Aladdin), Clinton Greenspan (Broadway’s next “Aladdin”)and Mena Massoud, the live-action Aladdin I had all the Aladdins I could ever want in one place!
It was kinda crazy in the best possible ways.
Here’s what else happened on stage.
Highlights From The Musical Journey of Aladdin At D23 Expo
- Mena Massoud gave D23 Expo fans a first some special content that will be available as bonus features. The Blu-ray and Digital release will have a deleted song, Desert Moon, and some bloopers as well.
- Brad Kane (“Aladdin” animated singing voice) who performed “One Jump Ahead.” And it was FANTASTIC. He said it had been a really long time since he sang this, but, boy did he nail it!
- Deedee Magno Hall (“Jasmine” in “Disney’s Aladdin – A Musical Spectacular” at the Hyperion Theater in Disneyland) performed “To Be Free,” an original song that Alan Menken wrote and composed for this production. She’s just a doll!
- Clinton Greenspan (Broadway’s next “Aladdin”) performed “Proud of Your Boy,” a real tear-jerker of a song.
- Jamal Sims (choreographer, “Aladdin” live-action) who showcased Genie’s signature dance moves, along with a team of dancers, in a performance set to “A Friend Like Me.”
- One of my favorite moments was when Lillias White (Hercules) performed “Speechless,” an original song from the live-action film. I’ll confess that I didn’t love the song in Aladdin the movie (no offense Naomi, it wasn’t you, I promise!) but I was DOWN with Lillias singing. But, to be fair, I love every single note that comes out of her talented soul. So. There’s that. It was phenomenal.
- The finale was a showstopper! Legendary GRAMMY Award-winning singer Regina Belle closed the show with a performance of “A Whole New World” with Norm Lewis (“Scandal,” “The Little Mermaid” on Broadway).
VIDEO: A Whole New World and More From The Musical Journey of Disney’s Aladdin at D23 Expo
More D23 Expo Recaps You’ll Love
I’m a fangirl and I don’t pretend otherwise. Geeking out over pop culture is a big part of My No-Guilt Life, and I’m here to say it’s ok if that’s your thing too! No matter how old you are. Ahem. I’m solidly on #TeamCap and think Iron Man has gotten a bit big for his gold-titanium alloy britches. Oh- and I’m completely in love with Agent Coulson and Agent May. Completely.