Things are getting pretty interesting in the MCU as Phases 5 and 6 get started. Signs point to some new-to-the MCU characters (but not new to comic book movies!) coming along that you may have actually skipped over before. If you want to learn more about these comic heroes and villains, here’s a list of the Non-MCU Marvel movies you may have missed! Affiliate links are included in this post.
Table of Contents
Non-MCU Marvel Movies You May Have Missed
There’s a complicated history to Marvel comic book characters being used on the small and big screens.
Some of the shows and movies out there are created from Marvel comic stories and utilize Marvel characters, but not included in the Marvel Cinematic Universe (or MCU) for various reasons.
See the Sony Spider-Man movies for example.
However, as the phases continue rolling out, signs are pointing to some of the non-MCU folks showing up in the MCU in future projects.
And if you want to be prepared, we put together a list of the non-MCU movies you’ll need to watch.
But first, let’s talk about Phase 5 and what you need to know.
List of MCU Phase 5 Movies and Shows On The Way
Phase 4 is ending with a bang!
According to President of Marvel Studios, Kevin Feige, Black Panther: Wakanda Forever will officially be the end of Phase 4 of the Marvel Cinematic Universe.
So what’s happening in Phase 5 of the MCU?
Here’s the list as announced at San Diego Comic-Con 2022.
- Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania (Feb. 17, 2023)
- Secret Invasion (Spring 2023)
- Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 (May 5, 2023)
- Loki season 2 (Summer 2023)
- Echo (Summer 2023)
- The Marvels (July 28, 2023)
- Blade (Nov. 3, 2023)
- Ironheart (Fall 2023)
- Agatha: Coven of Chaos (Winter 2023/2024)
- Captain America: New World Order (May 3, 2024)
- Daredevil: Born Again (Spring 2024)
- Thunderbolts (July 26, 2024)
What Marvel Movies and Shows Should You Watch Before MCU Phase 5 Kicks Off?
That sounds like a lot, right? A lot of AWESOME!
But you may need to catch up with some MCU movies and shows before you watch anything from Phase 5. You know we have a list for you!
Here are the MCU movies and shows that should be important to see before you dive into Phase 5 MCU:
- Avengers: Endgame (possible set up for Guardians Vol 3)
- Black Panther 2: Wakanda Forever (know what just happened as Phase 5 kicks off)
- Ant-Man and The Wasp (characters introduced for next Ant-Man movie and possible Thunderbolts)
- Captain Marvel (set up for Secret Invasion and characters introduced for The Marvels)
- Guardians of the Galaxy: Volume 2 (set up for Guardians Vol 3)
- Loki Season 1 (Loki is getting a season 2)
- Hawkeye (characters introduced for Echo and possibly Thunderbolts)
- Ms. Marvel (characters introduced for The Marvels)
- The Eternals (specifically the end credits for Blade introduction)
- WandaVision (set up for Agatha)
- Falcon and the Winter Soldier (Captain America 4 set up and Thunderbolts set up)
- She-Hulk (Daredevil intro if you missed the series)
- Black Widow (possible Thunderbolts connection in end credits)
These shows will give you some context or introduce you to many of the characters that look to be coming for Phase 5.
What about the Non-MCU movies? Do you need to watch those?
List of Non-MCU Marvel Movies To Watch Before MCU Phases 5 and 6
You might! There are hints and some confirmations that many of the non-MCU characters will be coming to the MCU in the coming years.
Here’s what you should watch to really get caught up for all the upcoming Marvel movies and shows heading our way.
Some of these movies are only rumored to have connections at this time, but if you want to really be in the know from the comic movie perspective, take that deep dive for your next Marvel movie marathon.
- Howard The Duck (1986)
- The Punisher Movies (1989–2008) – there is also a series on Disney+ that may be more pertinent
- Fantastic Four movies – currently featured in Dr. Strange 2; but the MCU Fantastic Four should be the first movie in Phase 6
- The Blade Trilogy (1998-2004)
- The X-Men Franchise (2000-2019)
- Spider-Man movies
- Hulk (2003)
- Daredevil (2003) – But for MCU purposes, you are better off watching the Daredevil series on Disney+
- Elektra (2005)
- Ghost Rider & Ghost Rider: Spirit Of Vengeance (2007-2011) – Ghost Rider is also in Agents of SHIELD season 4
- Deadpool (1 & 2) – Deadpool is getting a 3rd movie and this one has been confirmed to be part of the MCU. Deadpool, in case you are unaware, is NOT for kids.
- Venom and Venom 2: Let There Be Carnage. (There is an end credit in Carnage that implies inclusion in MCU)
Hope this list of Non-MCU Marvel Movies gets you hyped for the next phases of movies coming our way!
More Movie Lists To Check Out
- Back-To-School Movies To Get You Ready For Class
- List of Fourth of July Movies Like Independence Day
- List of Shows and Movies To Watch Before Doctor Strange In The Multiverse Of Madness
- Romantic- But Not Too Romantic- Movies For Teens and Tweens On Valentine’s Day
- How To Watch The Scream Movies In Order
- How To Watch The Matrix Movies In Order
- Three Must-See Movies Before Watching Spider-Man No Way Home
- The Merriest List of Disney Christmas Movies
- Football Movies To Stream Instead Of Actual Games
- Best Thanksgiving Movies List | AKA, What To Watch Instead of Football This Year
- The Ultimate List of Disney Halloween Movies
Patty Holliday is a parent movie reviewer, writer, and podcaster living in the Washington, DC area. Her goal is to bridge the gap between casual fandom and picky critic with parent movie and television reviews. As a lifelong fangirl and pop culture connoisseur, she’s been creating online since 2009. You can find her work at No-Guilt Disney.com, No-Guilt Fangirl.com, No-Guilt Life, and as host of the top-rated No-Guilt Disney Podcast.