Sean Astin deserves to be fangirled, y’all, and my people on Twitter came through in a big way this week. If you missed Sean Astin Appreciation Day, well, it’s not too late! But that got me thinking: what other actors making waves in 2019 can Generation X claim as our own? I’ve got a list of Multigenerational Gen X Actors.
There’s a Sean Astin For Everyone
Earlier this year we had the Keannussance. How about we have a SeanAstinssance?
Twitter took care of that this week when we had an impromptu Sean Astin Appreciation Day. And you KNOW I was here for it.
Sean Astin is probably the most relatable actor for me looking back over the years. Plus I’ve been lucky enough to meet and chat with him a few times and he’s a lovely person.
I don’t know many child actors in real life (ok, so I know none) so I can’t compare him to anyone, but talking to him was like talking to my husband who I simply adore – obviously. He’s just so normal and I’m not sure *that* is normal in Hollywood for a kid who grew up on screen as he did.
I mean, y’all. Sean Astin is a national treasure and I will fight you if you say differently.
Sean Astin: Gen X Had Him First
I talked a little about this on the Daily(ish) Fangirl podcast segment this week.
I mean, I did need this in my life, so thank you, @samxgrace. You are doing the Lord’s work by blessing my timeline with this.
But did you SEE that she called him Sean Astin from Stranger Things?
No, no, my child. He is so much more.
Sean Astin from Goonies. Sean Astin from Rudy (RUDY! RUDY! RUDY!). Sean Astin from Toy Soldiers. Sean Astin from Lord of the Rings. Sean Astin from Memphis Belle, 50 First Dates, Encino Man…
GenX Twitter collectively lost its mind, I think, with the Stranger Things reference.
Not that there’s anything wrong with his turn as Bob the Superhero, but, well, there’s so much more that we love about Sean.
It did make for a lovely day of people reflecting on their favorite Sean Astin movies and shows and I, for one, was much amused by all of it.
And yes, I do explain who he is to my kids as Sean Astin from Stranger Things sooooo… there’s that. Ha!
List of Multigenerational Gen X Actors
He’s not alone in showing off Gen X greatness on screen. There are a quote a few others that my generation can claim as WE GOT THEIR AWESOME FIRST, children!
Let me know who else should be added to this list of multigenerational Gen X Actors.
- Robert Downey, Jr (Weird Science, Less Than Zero, Iron Man)
- John Travolta (Welcome Back Kotter, Grease, Pulp Fiction, Gotti)
- Winona Ryder (Lucas, Beatlejuice, Heathers, Stranger Things)
- Dwayne Johnson (Wrestling as The Rock, Race to Witch Mountain, The Tooth Fairy, Fast Five, Hobbs & Shaw)
- Ice T
- Keanu Reeves (Bill & Teds to John Wick to Toy Story 4)
- Tom Cruise (The Outsiders, Top Gun, Mission: Impossible, Top Gun Maverick)
- John Stamos
- Sandra Bullock
- Neil Patrick Harris (Doogie Howser, How I Met Your Mother, Series of Unfortunate Events)
- Molly Ringwald
- Tori Spelling (90210, alllll those reality shows, BH90210)
- Luke Perry (90210, Riverdale)
- Brian Austin Green
- Drew Berrymore
- Mark Wahlberg (Marky Mark and the Funky Bunch, Fear, Boogie Nights, The Italian Job, Instant Family)
- Anthony Michael Hall (Vacation, The Breakfast Club, Weird Science, Saturday Night Live, Riverdale)
- Alphonso Ribero
- Patrick Dempsey
- George Clooney
- Keiffer Sutherland
- Emilio Estevez
- Rob Lowe
- Sarah Jessica Parker
- Joseph Gordon Levitt
- Leonardo DiCaprio
- Brad Pitt
- Mayim Bialik (Beaches, Blossom, Big Bang Theory)
- Johnny Galecki
- Wil Wheaton (Stand By Me, Star Trek, Big Bang Theory)
- Donnie Wahlberg
Who else would you add to the Gen X Multigenerational List?