Prey is the latest installment to the Predator franchise. If your family loves those movies, then your teens and tweens will be asking about watching Prey on Hulu. But is it ok for kids? What is the age rating for Prey (2022)? This parents guide will help you decide if your whole family can watch this one. ps- get the best movie quotes from Prey here.
Table of Contents
About Prey (2022)
Set in the Comanche Nation 300 years ago, “Prey” is the story of a young woman, Naru, a fierce and highly skilled warrior.
She has been raised in the shadow of some of the most legendary hunters who roam the Great Plains, so when danger threatens her camp, she sets out to prove herself a worthy hunter.
The prey she stalks, and ultimately confronts, turns out to be a highly evolved alien Predator with a technically advanced arsenal, resulting in a vicious and terrifying showdown between the two adversaries.
What Is The Age Rating For Prey (2022)? Parents Guide
Your family may have seen the previous Predator movies and are looking forward to this one.
But is Prey kid-friendly for older teens? Is this one safe for kids?
Your mileage may vary when it comes to the content you allow in this one.
This parents guide for Prey will help you decide if your family can handle the gore, violence, language, sex, romance, and nudity. We’ll also give the Prey age rating and age-appropriate recommendations.
Prey doesn’t actually have a lot of dialogue, so language isn’t the big concern in this movie.
Kids will hear sh!t, son of a b!tch, m@rde (French swear word), and d@mn.
Overall, if language is your heck no, Prey is fairly safe for kids to watch in this regard.
Age Rating For Prey: Is It Safe For Kids When It Comes To Sex, Romance, and Nudity?
There is no sex, romance or nudity to worry about your younger kids seeing in Prey.
On this point, again, Prey is kid-friendly. But… there are more concerns in this movie.
It is a Predator movie, after all.
Is Prey Ok For Kids: Mature Topics
This one is intense and there are a few animal deaths that could be triggering to some kids.
The mature topics are primarily from a violence and gore standpoint. So let’s talk about that before you decide if your kids can watch Prey.
Violence and Gore: Is Prey Too Scary For Kids Under 17?
This is a wild and intense movie with jump scares, gore, and a ton of violence.
Predator movies are known for these aspects, so, of course, this shouldn’t be a shock to parents.
It might be exactly why your kids are interested with many digging scary movies these days.
But here’s some of the information you need to know from a violence and gore standpoint:
- characters are impaled by claws
- characters are decapitated/have their limbs cut off
- one character gets shot in the eye with an arrow
- one character is mauled by a lion
- characters get into an aggressive physical fight
- characters are killed with axes
- characters are blown up
- characters are shot in the head
- one character is cut across the torso (non lethally)
- main character and dog separately get their limbs stuck in metal clamp traps
- characters are stabbed a LOT
- we see a lone severed leg at one point
- rats munch on a character’s leg wound while he’s alive
- a lot of animals are killed (see the following)
- snake is stabbed and skinned
- a lion is decapitated
- wolf is stabbed to death and then has his spine and head ripped out of him
- a field of fully skinned bison is shown
It’s A LOT.
Prey Age Rating: What Ages Can Really Watch This One?
Prey is Rated R for strong bloody violence.
Is Prey Appropriate For Kids Under 17?
As always, you know your kids best.
If they have seen other movies in this genre, they can likely handle Prey.
If they have watched the previous Predator movies, they are probably not going to be too scared or scarred with watching Prey.
Overall, we think kids no younger than 14 should be watching these types of films and sticking with ages 17 and up isn’t a bad idea.
More Parents Guides You’ll Love
- What Is The Age Rating For Bullet Train? Parents Guide
- What Is The Age Rating For Vengeance? Parents Guide
- What Is The Age Rating For DC League of Super-Pets? Parents Guide
- What Is The Age Rating For NOPE? Parents Guide
- What Is The Age Rating For Paws of Fury: The Legend of Hank? Parents Guide
- What Is The Age Rating For Thor: Love And Thunder? Parents Guide
- What Is The Age Rating For Minions: The Rise of Gru?
- What Is The Age Rating For Elvis? Parents Guide
- What Is The Age Rating For The Black Phone? Parents Guide
- What Is The Age Rating For Lightyear? Parents Guide
- What Is The Age Rating For Jurassic World Dominion? Parents Guide
- What Is The Age Rating Of Ms Marvel? Parents Guide and Review
- What Is The Age Rating Of Stranger Things 4? Parents Guide and Review
Patty Holliday is a parent movie reviewer, writer, and podcaster living in the Washington, DC area. Her goal is to bridge the gap between casual fandom and picky critic with parent movie and television reviews. As a lifelong fangirl and pop culture connoisseur, she’s been creating online since 2009. You can find her work at No-Guilt Disney.com, No-Guilt Fangirl.com, No-Guilt Life, and as host of the top-rated No-Guilt Disney Podcast.