Scary season is in full effect right now, and that means kids are asking to see the latest horror movies in the theater. What is the age rating of Barbarian (2022)? This parents guide will help you decide if your teens can see this one.
Table of Contents
About Barbarian (2022)
Traveling to Detroit for a job interview, a young woman books a rental home. But when she arrives late at night, she discovers that the house is double-booked, and a strange man is already staying there. Against her better judgment, she decides to spend the evening but soon discovers that there’s a lot more to fear than just an unexpected houseguest.
From 20th Century Studios and New Regency, “Barbarian” stars Georgina Campbell, Bill Skarsgård, Justin Long, Matthew Patrick Davis, Richard Brake, Kurt Braunohler and Jaymes Butler.
What Is The Age Rating Of Barbarian (2022)? Parents Guide
Can you really know what you’re getting when you check into an Airbnb?
It’s scary on multiple levels, but when something goes drastically wrong, horror ensues.
Can your kids watch this one? What is the age rating of Barbarian (2022)?
This parent’s guide will help you decide if your family can handle the gore, violence, language, sex, romance, and nudity. We’ll also give Barbarian age rating and age-appropriate recommendations.
You will certainly hear a lot of language in this movie.
Your kids will hear:
- f-bombs (a lot of them)
- j@sus christ
Age Rating For Barbarian (2022): Is It Safe For Teens When It Comes To Sex, Romance, and Nudity?
There is a scene where breasts are shown in a non-sexual manner in the form of a giant naked woman. She force-breast feeds a man as well (while not sexual, something we feel is important to note).
Is Barbaian Ok For Kids: Mature Topics
This movie runs the gamut when it comes to mature topics: rape, politics, suicide, murder- whew, it’s a lot! Without giving too much away, know that this movie is wild.
Characters are seen drinking alcohol.
Violence and Gore: Is Barbarian Too Scary For Kids Under 17?
Okay- so it’s a horror movie. And you can expect to be horrified.
We counted 13 jumpscares throughout the movie. If that is something your teens can’t handle, Barbarian is not kid-friendly for them.
Here’s a bit of the rundown of the violence and gore you can expect when watching Barbarian for the parents guide:
- we see a bloody handprint on the wall at one point, along with a bloody bucket and a bloodstained bed
- a character’s head is repeatedly smashed into a stone wall
- a character vaguely describes how they raped a someone
- 2 characters are trapped in a cage
- the naked woman starts hugging one character and then starts strangling the other
- forced breastfeeding (this movie was wild)
- character shoots themself in the head
- one character shoots another, we see the wound up close
- a character gets their arm ripped off and then killed with it
- two characters lie in a pool of blood
- characters are choked
- characters fall from great heights
- one character runs another character into a house with their car
- a character’s eyes are poked out by long nails and their head is subsequently pulled apart
- character shot in the head again
Barbarian Age Rating: What Ages Can Really Watch This One?
Barbarian is rated R for nudity, bloodshed, and sexual assault.
So what ages can really watch Barbarian?
Is Barbarian (2022) Appropriate For Kids Under 17?
As always, you know your kids best.
We think for most teens, sticking to the 17 and up guideline is age appropriate for Barbarian. It’s scary and truly creepy.
If your teen has a subscription to SHUDDER, then they are probably ok to watch this one.
More Parents Guides and Age Rating Recommendations
- What Is The Age Rating For Hocus Pocus (1993)? Parents Guide
- Age Rating For The Rings of Power | Parents Guide
- What Is The Age Rating For The Invitation (2022)? Parents Guide
- What Is The Age Rating For Game Of Thrones: House Of The Dragon?
- What Is The Age Rating For Beast (2022)? Parents Guide
- What Is The Age Rating For She-Hulk? Parents Guide
- Is I Am Groot Ok For Kids? Parents Guide
- What Is The Age Rating For Bodies, Bodies, Bodies? Parents Guide
- What Is The Age Rating For Prey (2022)? Parents Guide
- What Is The Age Rating For Bullet Train? Parents Guide
- What Is The Age Rating For Vengeance? Parents Guide
- What Is The Age Rating For DC League of Super-Pets? Parents Guide
- What Is The Age Rating For NOPE? Parents Guide
- What Is The Age Rating For Paws of Fury: The Legend of Hank? Parents Guide
- What Is The Age Rating For Thor: Love And Thunder? Parents Guide
- What Is The Age Rating For Minions: The Rise of Gru?
- What Is The Age Rating For Elvis? Parents Guide
- What Is The Age Rating For The Black Phone? Parents Guide
Patty Holliday is a parent movie reviewer, writer, and podcaster living in the Washington, DC area. Her goal is to bridge the gap between casual fandom and picky critic with parent movie and television reviews. As a lifelong fangirl and pop culture connoisseur, she’s been creating online since 2009. You can find her work at No-Guilt Disney.com, No-Guilt Fangirl.com, No-Guilt Life, and as host of the top-rated No-Guilt Disney Podcast.